Welcome to our blog

We will be posting pictures and stories from our adventures abroad right here - so mark this as a "favorite" and check back often for updates. -Phil and Alison

To send us a message, click here.


Monday, December 7, 2009

Mom & Dad Poull Visit *Part 1* Switzerland

My parents came to visit in October this year. We spent almost two weeks traveling around Switzerland (including the Aletsch Glacier, Lauterbrunnen Valley, and Trummelbach Falls), Munich Germany, and Cinque Terre, Italy. This was their first visit to Europe and I was so lucky to be able to help show them around. We saw so many beautiful places and took TONS of pictures. It will be tough to pick out the ones to post!

We started out by walking around Zurich on the first day. We checked out the market at Burkliplatz, walked around the Niederdorf, and walked down to the China Garden and Zurihorn. My mom taught me how to make pasties that night for dinner with our vegetables from the farmer's market.

The market at Burkliplatz. Several times a week they have markets in this area near the lake. We happened to stumble across the farmer's market which was filled with fresh produce and flowers.

Picking out a rutabaga for the pasties. Yum!

Next we picked out some fresh potatoes. I love this picture.

My dad and I are obsessed with doors. This was the first of many to be photographed during the trip.

My Mom and Dad overlooking the Limmat with the Fraumunster Church in the background. They make a very handsome couple, don't you think?

Bellevue

Niederdorf area

Grossmunster Church

Lake Zurich on a typical Autumn day


There are some guys that stack rocks along the edge of the lake every day, which makes for some neat pictures.

Another theme for the trip was trees. Anyone who knows my dad knows that he is a talented woodworker and cabinetmaker. He is also what I would call a wood enthusiast and therefore was on the lookout for unique trees as well as burls. I think he wished he had brought along a chainsaw. This tree along Lake Zurich was especially impressive since it was so huge!

Mom and I made pasties that night. I had never made these with her from start to finish and since it is a family tradition I needed to learn how to make them. These are also my favorite food.



The next day we got on the train and headed for the western part of the country to go hike the Aletsch Glacier. It was absolutely breathtaking. The hike was a challenge but my parents were up for it. Next, we went to stay the night in the Lauterbrunnen Valley and go to see the Trummelbach Falls the following day. The weather was not cooperating at all so that evening we came back to Zurich.

Pictures of the Swiss countryside from the train courtesy of my Dad. Some of them turned out really well!



Heading over the the cable car in Fiesch to take us up to the top of Eggishorn to see the Aletsch Glacier.

At the middle station on the mountain for lunch. The clouds were rolling in and out so we were just getting peeks at the valley below.

Cable Car heading up into the clouds

The Aletsch Glacier. Amazing!




Mom and Dad overlooking the Glacier

Phil and I overlooking the Glacier

Mom and Phil setting out on our hike


Phil taking a quick break

Mom and Dad Hiking

Dad doing some serious climbing!

The path


Dad setting up for a group photo

And the group photo

More beautiful scenery

The Glacier up close & personal



Almost there!

Phil and I at the glacier

Dad and Mom at the glacier. I love this picture of them!

Hiking back to the cable car

Another beautiful panoramic.


Next we took the train to the Lauterbrunnen Valley where we spent the night. This is the view from outside our hotel at night and again in the morning.


We walked to Trummelbach Falls in the morning. The weather was pretty rainy.



Trummelbach Falls
There is an elevator that takes everyone part of the way up the falls and then you can hike up along the falls through the rocks and caves. It is so hard to tell the story with pictures since they just don't do justice to the size and power of the falls.






Phil and I in the Fraggle Rock cave

Mom and Dad in the Fraggle Rock cave


View from the bottom of the falls


Our next stop was Bern, but I will save that for the next post, since this one has taken me a record 3 hours!

No comments: