Welcome to our blog

We will be posting pictures and stories from our adventures abroad right here - so mark this as a "favorite" and check back often for updates. -Phil and Alison

To send us a message, click here.


Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Making a quilt for Christmas

Many people wonder what I am up to over here without a job and with Phil working so many hours. Well I have found a way to fill my time. At the end of November I decided that I wanted to try quilting. My mom is an avid quilter and so I have been around it all of my life. When I told her about my plan, she not only sent me the fabric from her stash, but she precut the squares and sent a bunch of other supplies too. I was excited to see if I could do it, so I started right away. I do not have a sewing machine here, so I had to hand sew everything. Phil was gone for a week and a half in Germany working so I spent the time sewing up a storm. It is still not finished, but I am getting close. After thousands of tiny stitches I just have to finish the binding and the hand quilting.

This is the layout of the squares

All of the rows are together

The panel is done!

And this is what it looks like now! Binding needs to be attached on the back, but this is about what it will be when it is done.

I am still hoping to get it all done by Christmas! We will see how that goes. I am baking Christmas cookies tomorrow so I probably won't get too much quilting done.

No comments: