Welcome to our blog

We will be posting pictures and stories from our adventures abroad right here - so mark this as a "favorite" and check back often for updates. -Phil and Alison

To send us a message, click here.


Monday, July 7, 2008

Less than 2 months until lift-off

We leave for Switzerland in approximately 7 weeks. We will be out of town for 3 of the coming weekends. This leaves a mere 4 weekends to pack and move everything to storage. 2 of these weekends will be spent enjoying the company of our friends and family for various celebrations. The other 2 will be a frantic scramble to get everything done before we leave. Thankfully Phil has almost the entire month of August off of work so he can make up for our lack of time. This has snuck up on us quicker than we thought it would. I am constantly amazed as I flip through my weekly planner and see the time slipping away. There are so many people to see one last time before our adventure, but it is unlikely we will see everyone. It may be 2 years before we see them again.

On the other hand, I have compiled an extensive list of things for me to do during our time abroad in case a work permit is not in my future. If anyone has suggestions for books or projects, let me know! Here is the list so far. I have also started a reading list that I will post some other time.

Learn Yoga
Learn guitar
Paint
Read
Run
Walk
Exercise - weights, cardio, etc.
Learn German
Learn to knit
Take online courses for design
Learn to cook new things
Shop at new places for food - look for bargains
Scrapbook - make pages for book of our adventures
Make recipe binder - plastic sleeves, cards, room for full pages
Shop for bargain art pieces & unique décor for our home
Look at registering for wedding
Plan wedding
Make wedding invitations
Make save the date cards
Photography
Blogging
Research jobs and careers for return home
Create greeting cards
Grow fresh herbs
Snow shoeing in the hills in Winter
Ice Skating in Winter
Rowing - In spring/summer
Join clubs
Meet fellow expats at get togethers around Zurich
Babysitting
House cleaning
Personal shopping
Grow fresh flowers
Leave the house almost EVERY day! - go for a walk or jog
Take skiing lessons
Go sledding in the winter
Visit friends in nearby countries
Meditate
Take a tour around the city
Visit nearby towns by train
Volunteer
Research investment opportunities for retirement accounts
Learn more about investing in general
Take an art class
Take a photography class

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww, i wish i can visit switzerland too..

arlene,
Bainbridge Island florist

Crystal said...

Hi Phil and Allison! I wish you all the best in finding 'bargains', please let me know if you ever find any. I would be very interested. I've yet to find anything that resembles a bargain except for 'aktion' items at the Coop.